Computational biologist working at the interface of data science & bioinformatics to study functional genomics. Research interests include interpretable machine learning, omic data integration, stress response regulation, deep learning, and single cell genomics.
|June 2014 - Oct 2019||Ph.D. in Plant Biology||Michigan State University||East Lansing, MI|
|Aug 2008 - May 2012||B.A. in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry||Middlebury College||Middlebury, VT|
Post-doctoral fellow. November 2019 - current. St. Vincent’s Institute of Medical Research, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Focus: Developing algorithms and methods to study transcriptional variation and functional genomics at the single cell level. Supervised by Davis McCarthy.
Graduate Student. June 2014 - October 2019. Michigan State University, East Lansing MI
Visiting Scientist. August 2018 - December 2018. Insight Center for Data Analytics, Dublin City University, Dublin Ireland.
Research Assistant. June 2012 - May 2014. Boyce Thompson Institute, Ithaca NY
Establishing protocols for reverse genetics experiments in Setaria viridis. Including vector development and agrobacteria transformation and tissue propagation. Supervised by David Stern and Joyce Van Eck.
Undergraduate Research Assistant. September 2011 - May 2012. Middlebury College, Middlebury VT
Conducted Bayesian analysis on sequence results to look for statistical evidence of sea lamprey being either native or invasive to Lake Champlain. Supervised by Bill Ardren (USFSW) and Sallie Sheldon.
Summer Research Intern. June 2011 - August 2011. Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, St. Louis, MO
Metabolic engineering of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii for improved lipid accumulation by knocking down the starch biosynthesis pathway. Supervised by Richard Sayre.
Summer Research Intern. June 2009 - August 2009. Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
Identify sorting signals for localization of lipoproteins in Borrelia burgdorfori. Supervised by Wolfram Zückert.
TEACHING AND MENTORING
- Teaching Assistant. Plant Physiology Lab. MSU, Spring 2018
- Lead Instructor. REU 1 Day Coding Bootcamp. MSU, Summer 2017 & 2018
- Undergraduate Student Mentor. Dante Poe. Spring 2015 - Summer 2018
- ACRES REU Student Mentor. Emily Bolger and Ketan Jog. Summer 2019
- REU Student Mentor. Michael Douglass. Summer 2017
OUTREACH AND SERVICE
- Activity Leader. MSU Girls’ Math & Science Day Activity Leader, “Assemble This” 2019 & “Code Like a Girl” 2015-2018
- President. MSU Plant Biology Graduate Student Organization 2018-2019
- Committee Member. Environmental Science Policy Colloquium Committee 2016-2018
- Student Chair. MSU Plant Biology Graduate Committee 2016-2018
- Student Chair. MSU Plant Biology Faculty Search Committee 2016-2017
- Organizing Committee Member. MSU Girls’ Math & Science Day 2014-2019
- Co-Chair. Boyce Thompson Institute (BTI) Post Graduate Society 2014
- Chair. BTI Professional Development Seminar Organizer 2013
- Committee Member. BTI Annual Science Retreat 2013
- Activity Leader. Plant Science Day in 3rd grade classroom 2013
- Activity Leader. Science Station @ Girl Scout Day Camp 2006-2008
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2018 NSF Graduate Research Opportunities Worldwide, Ireland
- 2018 Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center Symposium Flash Talk Oral Competition Winner
- 2017 MSU Fate of the Earth Conference 1st Place Poster Presentation
- 2017 MSU Plant Science Grad Research Symposium 3rd place Oral Competition
- 2015 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- 2014 Environmental Science & Policy Fellowship